Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Moving Forward, Looking Back - AUDT Senior (Captain) Jackie

Sorry to get sentimental on you but here it comes... :)

It seems like yesterday, I walked into Bender Arena for the first time, anxious about dance team tryouts and the experiences which lay ahead as a freshman beginning a new life away from the comforts of home. Little did I know that the girls who surrounded me would soon become my sisters, and the team, which I assumed would serve as a fun extra-curricular, would come to be a central part of my life. Looking back over the past three years is somewhat overwhelming. It has become impossible to imagine what my life here at AU would have been like if I did not join the dance team. I am sure there are experiences I have missed out on due to the rigorous practice schedule, fundraising, and games. However, the amount of effort required to be a part of the Spirit Program seems minute when compared to the rewards I have recieved in return and I would not change a thing.

I have made the best friends of my life, who I know will remain close to me even after our time here is complete. They continue to amaze me both as athletes, students, and individuals. I am so proud of each of you and cannot wait to see the amazing things you each do with your lives. I have had the honor of being part of a program of passionate and dedicated people, working to improve and move forward regardless of the obstacles and difficulties which inevitably arise. The progress which has been made over the past three years is truely remarkable, and it is this journey of which I am most proud. I feel blessed to say that I was a part of it. I have grown both as a person and as a dancer as a direct result of this team. The lessons which it has taught me will remain with me throughout my life. I thank everyone involved, especially Alex, for having faith in me and my abilities, and for providing me with the best college experience I could have possibly hoped for. The team this year has come so far and I am so proud of the progress we have made. I cannot wait to show everyone just what we are capable of next week in Daytona.

I can only hope that the girls who join this team in the future are lucky enough to walk away with the same tremendous memories and experiences that being a part of AU Spirit has given me. As I take the National's stage one last time, I know that the thoughts and emotions I experience will be a mix of sadness, pride, and excitement. Moving past this phase of my life is difficult, but I know that I will never really leave DT. The memories and friends will last forever, and AU Spirit's journey is only just beginning.

I love you all so much.
Nationals here we come.

No comments:

Post a Comment