Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Daytona Dream- AU Cheer Freshman, Lindsay

It feels like time has gone so fast! It is hard for me to even imagine that two weeks from today I will be in Daytona Beach, Florida preparing to compete in my first college cheerleading nationals. It didn’t hit me until last Sunday's practice when my coach, Brett, said that in one week we would perform the routine for all of our friends and family and that in almost two weeks we would be in Daytona. At that moment I realized that everything have worked towards for the past year is coming to a close.

When I am in Daytona it will be almost a year to the day since I was at spring tryouts. Coming in as a senior in high school was daunting. I still remember the drive down from New York with my parents and leaving them in Bender Arena after they signed me in since I was only 17. The idea that competing was their top goal did not make the nerves much better but did heighten my excitement once I made the team.

Everyone who tried out in spring went to the UCA/UDA camp the first week in April. We bonded so much as a team but those were probably the hardest four days of my life not only physically, but also mentally. Our bodies ached, frustration boiled and tears flowed all throughout that trip but we worked hard and most of all stuck together. It is that mentality that has stuck with us ever since. Now I can look back on that week and see just how far we have come!

American is such an amazing place but the AU Sprit program is without a doubt my favorite part of college. I can’t even imagine, and honestly don’t even want to think of, what my life would be without cheer. Coming to my first day of college and already knowing so many freshman and upperclassman made the transition so much easier. These girls are my some of my best friends and it makes living away from home for the first time much easier when you know that there is always someone there for you. For the past eight months we have been in school all of the girls in this program have worked so hard to get to where we are today.

It was also exciting for us that for the second time in a row our men’s basketball team made it to the NCAA tournament in Philadelphia! I was so proud to be one of the twelve cheerleaders on the sidelines! Entering the Wachovia Center for the first time was a moment I will remember for the rest of my life. There were so many people and I could even see some of my fellow cheerleaders and dancers in the sea of blue and red that made up our crowd. It was such an amazing battle against Villanova and, although we did not win, we certainly ended our season with a bang!

Both the cheer and dance teams have worked so hard all year. However with out the help of Alex, Brett, family and friends there is no way that going to Nationals would even be possible. They have all made sure that we were ready for the 2:19 minute routine to show everyone what we can do. This was the best freshman year I could have dreamed of and I can’t wait to continue next year.

Wish us luck in Daytona!

No comments:

Post a Comment