Saturday, March 28, 2009

I've Got A Fever!! - AUDT Sophomore, Katie

After two years, countless practices, thousands of hours of sweat and stress, I stand with my teammates on the court of Bender Arena only ten days away from our first national competition. I really don’t think I could be more excited or more thankful. As a sophomore, I couldn’t have asked for two such amazing years. I owe so much of my college happiness to AUDT. The American University Dance Team has given me my favorite memories, my best friends, and a goal worth spending dozens of hours each week working towards—competing on the national level.

It seems like yesterday that I sat with the five other AUDT vets in Daytona, Florida. Watching the incredible dancing, we sat in awe of the idea that we could quite possibly be dancing on that very same stage next year. We were hooked! We returned to AU thrilled for tryouts and determined to create a strong team dedicated to a common goal.

After spring tryouts, we added two new members to our team. In August, the eight of us attended a UDA camp to strengthen our skills and our team bond. After fall tryouts, we gained five more beautiful dancers, and the fun began. The thirteen of us have become inseparable.

We spend every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday preparing for nationals. With basketball games over, we’ve been able to focus solely on our routine, dedicating every second of our time, in and out of practice, to reviewing and perfecting the routine as well as working out, watching our diet, and getting plenty of sleep to keep up with our intense schedule. But it’s all been worth it! With the help and guidance of our fabulous coach Alex, we are getting closer and closer to reaching our goal.

With the end in sight, I couldn’t be more proud of this team. I feel truly honored to be a part of this wonderful experience. We’ve come so far, worked so hard, and already accomplished so much over the past two years—it’s truly incredible.

Congratulations DT … It’s dance time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment